DWI’s Are Out Of Control In Minnesota!
The numbers I just saw on the Olmsted County Sheriff's Department are NOT good. We are close to 1,000 DWI's ahead of last year's total by this point in the year. 1,000 ahead?
That's an incredible number. Just this last weekend, there were over 320 DWI arrests made in Minnesota. That makes it over 17,000 for the year so far. Last year at this point we were at 16,061 (which is a frightening enough number, right?). If you look at how people died in alcohol-related crashes so far this year, the number is 41.
What happens if you get caught driving drunk? According to the MN Department of Public Safety,
- Loss of license for up to a year.
- Thousands of dollars in costs
- Possible jail time.
For the love of God, it's 2019. There is literally no good reason we have over 17,000 Minnesota DWI arrests already on the books.
Please, Commit to a Siber Ride (from the MN Department of Public Safety)
- Plan for a safe ride — designate a sober driver, use a cab/public transportation or stay at the location of the celebration.
- Speak Up – Offer to be a designated driver or be available to pick up a loved one anytime, anywhere.
- Buckle up — the best defense against a drunk driver.
- Report drunk driving — call 911 when witnessing impaired driving behavior. Be prepared to provide the location, license plate number and observed dangerous behavior.
Listen to James Rabe 6a to 9a on Y-105 FM