Rochester , MN (KROC-AM News ) - Rochester firefighters were able to prevent a fire from spreading to a four-plex townhome after it broke out in an attached garage this afternoon.

Deputy Fire Chief Steve Belau says the fire department responded to a 911 call reporting the fire at 5372 Weatherstone Circle Northwest after 1pm. The call was made by a resident, who had been using a candle for illumination. Belau says the candle was placed on a plastic shelf and the flame came into contact with flammable materials and the fire spread to a wood wall.

The damage from the flames was contained to two of the garages, but there was smoke damage in all four townhomes.

Townhome garage fire
photo supplied by Rochester Fire Dept.

The firefighters rescued three pets from the smoke filled townhome connected to the garage where the fire started, but no injuries were reported. A preliminary estimate put the damage at less than $50,000.


More From Sasquatch 107.7 - The Rock of Rochester