You Can Report Some Rochester and Olmsted County Crimes Online. Here’s How.
How Do You Report A Crime in Rochester or Olmsted County Online?
All you need to make the report is a computer or a smart phone...your first report of the crime can be done without speaking to anyone. Don't worry if you're not sure how to do it, they walk you through it step by step.
According to the Olmsted County Sheriff's Department's Facebook page,
If you are the victim or a witness to a crime that occurred within Olmsted County or the City of Rochester, you may submit your initial report online. Based on the information you report, you may be contacted by a Deputy/Officer or Investigator.
This form should only be used for non-emergency reports. If you wish to report an emergency or urgent incident please call 9-1-1. Click HERE TO REPORT A CRIME
What Crimes Cannot Be Reported Online?
- Crimes that involve assault or burglary. Also, crimes in progress or bias-motivated crimes may not be reported online.
- Also, if there is significant physical evidence, or the suspect or suspects are at or near the scene, please call 507-328-6800 for Law Enforcement response.
What Crimes CAN Be Reported Online?
- Property Crimes
- Theft from Auto
- Tampering with a Motor Vehicle
- Damage to Property
- Graffiti reports/complaints
- Nuisance complaints
- Animal complaints
- Lost or Found Property
- Suspicious Circumstances
When you're ready to report a crime online, make sure you have as much information as possible. Everything from when the crime occurred to who you think the suspects are, and as much detail about the crime as possible
This might sound like a lot, but if you think about it...you're going to make the report anyway, this way you have time to get your notes gathered and lock down exactly what happened.
IN AN EMERGENCY, DIAL 911
By the way...it's super important to remember...pranking the system is NOT a smart idea.
- Filing a false police report is a crime and violations will be prosecuted.
- As required by State law, your report may be disclosed to the public.
As always, if you have a comment, complaint, or concern about something I wrote here, please let me know: firstname.lastname@example.org