How Well Do You Know Rochester? Take This Quiz to Find Out!
Some questions about the now of Rochester, and the then of Rochester, that's what you'll find in my latest quiz, "How Well Do You Know Rochester?" I had fun putting together this quiz because I learned a bunch of stuff I didn't know.
- The Average Age in Rochester is 35.
- In 1926 the KKK was part of the July 4th parade! See a pic here.
- Rochester used to have an asylum for alcoholics! Click HERE to see it.
- There are two caves on the Plummer House property.
- Oakwood Cemetary has had more than 19,000 burials!
- Nuns used to hold all the nursing positions at St Mary's, but it was considered practically babysitting. The Sisters that ran the hospital changed that.
- In 1944, Vern Manning bought was is now Avalon Music and renamed it the Avalon Hotel, the only hotel in Rochester that welcomed minorities.
- George Gibbs Elementary is named after, "the first African American to set foot on the continent of Antarctica...as a member of Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd's third Antarctic expedition." But he did so much more, read about his amazing life before and after he arrived in Rochester here.