Here’s How the Minnesota Cat That Went Through the Washer Is Doing
Here's an update on the cat from Maplewood who unknowingly went through an entire cycle in his family's washing machine.
It was a story from earlier this summer that captivated cat-lovers across the Land of 10,000 Lakes. (And, yeah, I'd be one-- my wife and I share our home with three fantastic felines, Finnegan, Huck and Hazel.)
This story centered on Felix, the black-and-white tuxedo cat who had unknowingly sneaked inside his family's washing machine up in Maplewood and inadvertently spent about 45 minutes stuck inside while the machine did its thing.
When we'd last heard, Felix had someone miraculously survived the harrowing experience, but was in rough shape at an emergency vet clinic where he was being treated for water in his lungs and other things, like the harsh chemicals in the detergent that had damaged his eyes.
Luckily, though, as we fast-forward to a little over six weeks later, and Felix is... doing fine. Even better than fine, that is, at least according to this update from the Star Tribune. In a story from Tuesday, Felix's owner, Stefani Carroll-Kirchoff, said Felix is almost completely healed and is "Doing phenomenally. He's a normal cat, still into mischief. He still greets us at the door every day like always," the story said.
Whew! That's great news! The story did say he still has some residual damage to his eyes-- they're still a little cloudy-- but he can still see fine and is back to 'ruling the roost' at their home.
Even more heartening that this story with its happy ending is the GoFundMe page that was set up to help pay for Felix's care. The story said it ended up exceeding their goal by around a thousand dollars-- which his owner is now going to donate to a local rescue to help other animals in need. She's also trying to spread the word about Felix's story, so a similar awful situation doesn't accidentally happen to other cats.
Oh. And one other thing: Felix-- along with their other cats-- is no longer allowed in their laundry room, the story noted.