Stewartville,MN (KROC AM News) -  It was a close call for a Stewartville-area man Friday night when a can of gasoline caught fire in his garage.

The Olmsted County Sheriff’s Office Monday released details of the fire.

The department says 45-year-old Thomas Wood was pouring gasoline into his race car when the metal container came into contact with the vehicle’s battery and caught fire. Wood dropped the can and kicked it.  It rolled into some other fuel cans and they burst into flames. Deputies tried to contain the fire by using extinguishers until firefighters arrived.  

Wood was taken by ambulance to St. Marys Hospital where he was treated for burns to one of his legs.

Damage to the large detached building was described as moderate. The residence is located in the 7400 block of County Road 20 southeast, a few miles northeast of Stewartville.

For 24/7 news and sports check KROC AM and follow KROC-AM on Facebook.