What to Know About Minnesota’s 2023 Fishing Opener This Weekend
Few days in Minnesota are celebrated like the opening weekend of the fishing season. This Saturday marks the start of the 2023 walleye, bass, and pike season on our 11,842 lakes. (I know we say 10,000 -- but Minnesotans don't like to brag.)
I'll be spending the weekend on the lake up north. Here are some interesting Minnesota fishing facts.
- Around 500,000 Minnesotans are expected to go fishing this weekend.
- 1.5 million Minnesotans have a fishing license.
- Minnesota anglers spend an average of $1500 each per season.
- According to the DNR, crappies are the most sought after fish in the state.
- The Minnesota DNR has many cool mobile fishing-friendly apps HERE.
- Here are the 2023 Minnesota Fishing Regulations.
- For everything you need regarding fishing in the state, visit the DNR Fishing page.
Saturday's forecast for southern Minnesota is for a chance of showers and thunderstorms each day with highs around 70.
The 2023 Governor's Fishing Opener events will take place in Saturday & Sunday in the Mankato area. However, Governor Tim Walz will miss the fish and festivities this weekend because he'll be attending his daughter's wedding.
The annual Governor’s Fishing Opener highlights the importance of the fishing tradition to Minnesotans and its importance to the state’s outdoor and tourism economy.
Wisconsin's opener was last weekend, a week before Mother's Day. Minnesota's opener and Mother's Day fall on the same weekend. Which state's schedule is better?
Good luck. Have fun. Be safe. Catch fish! I look forward to hearing how you did next Monday.