Rochester Choice School Wins National Honor
Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - A Rochester elementary school is among the eight schools throughout Minnesota that are being recognized as 2017 National Blue Ribbon Schools.
Washington Elementary is a choice school within the Rochester School District that uses the “Core Knowledge Curriculum. It serves about 360 Kindergarten through fifth-grade students from throughout the school district and was previously honored as a National Blue Ribbon School in 2007.
The designation, announced by U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, is based on each school's’ overall academic excellence and signifies they are among the highest performing schools in the state based on state and national assessments.
“It is important that we highlight and celebrate schools making strides to improve overall achievement for all students,” said Minnesota Department of Education Commissioner Brenda Cassellius. “Every year Minnesota nominates eight schools through the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program to recognize and learn from teachers and school leaders who are eliminating barriers and creating new opportunities for their students. I’m excited to celebrate our national Blue Ribbon schools this year. “
The U.S. Department of Education will honor 342 schools at a recognition ceremony in Washington, D.C. in early November. The schools will be presented with the National Blue Ribbon Schools flag that can be displayed as a symbol of exemplary teaching and learning.
2017 National Blue Ribbon Schools in Minnesota
- Hoover Elementary, Mankato Public School District
- Lake Marion Elementary, Lakeville Public School District
- Woodland Elementary School, Alexandria Public School District
- Gordon Bailey Elementary, South Washington County School District
- Washington Elementary, Rochester Public School District
- Wilshire Park Elementary, St. Anthony- New Brighton Schools
- St. Anthony Park Elementary, St. Paul Public Schools
- Oakwood Elementary, Wayzata Public School District