Hy-Vee Recalls Pizza
Hy-Vee Inc., based in West Des Moines, Iowa, is voluntarily recalling eight Hy-Vee brand pizzas that were sold at its six Minneapolis-area stores because they may contain undeclared soy. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to soy run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.
The take-and-bake Hy-Vee brand pizzas were distributed at the Twin Cities Hy-Vee stores in New Hope, Oakdale, Lakeville, Brooklyn Park, Eagan and Savage, near the stores' Italian departments and prepared-meal areas. The Hy-Vee pizzas are packaged in plastic wrapped pizza tins and sold out of refrigerated display cases. They are produced by Hy-Vee's wholly owned subsidiary D & D Foods Inc., based in Omaha, Nebraska.
Below is the product description, size, UPC number and "best if used by" date that can be found on the label of each Hy-Vee pizza that is being recalled.
- 12" Cheese Traditional Crust Pizza, UPC 288900 908996, 04-23-2017 thru 07-26-2017
- 12" Pepperoni Traditional Crust Pizza, UPC 288901 908995, 04-23-2017 thru 07-26-2017
- 16" Cheese Traditional Crust Pizza, UPC 288928 611991, 04-23-2017 thru 07-26-2017
- 16" Pepperoni Traditional Crust Pizza, UPC 288929 611990, 04-23-2017 thru 07-26-2017
- 12" Cheese Thin Crust Pizza, UPC 288914 908999, 04-23-2017 thru 07-26-2017
- 12" Pepperoni Thin Crust Pizza, UPC 288915 908998, 04-23-2017 thru 07-26-2017
- 16" Cheese Pizza Thin Crust Pizza, UPC 288942 611991, 04-23-2017 thru 07-26-2017
- 16" Pepperoni Pizza Thin Crust Pizza, UPC 288943 611990, 04-23-2017 thru 07-26-2017
To date, no illnesses have been reported in connection with these products.
The recall was initiated after a U.S. Department of Agriculture inspection at D & D Foods uncovered the dough softener used in the pizza crusts contained soy and it was not identified on the product labels' list of allergens. Subsequent investigation indicates the problem was caused by a product label filing error.
Customers who purchased these varieties of Hy-Vee pizza at any of the six Hy-Vee stores in the Twin Cities should dispose of them or return them to their local Hy-Vee store for a full refund.
Consumers with questions may contact Hy-Vee Customer Care representatives 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 800-772-4098 or CustomerCare@hy-vee.com.