Fire Forces Evacuation of Rochester Gift of Life Transplant House
Rochester , MN (KROC-AM News) - People staying at one of the Gift of Life Transplant Houses in Rochester were chased outside by smoke from a fire in the laundry room this afternoon.
Fire Department Deputy Chief Steve Belau says firefighters responded to 705 Second Street Southwest just after 1:30 p.m. and found the building's sprinkler system working to put out the flames in a commercial clothes dryer that was producing heavy smoke in the basement-level laundry room. The burning material was shielded from the spray of water from the sprinkler system, requiring the firefighters to use a fire extinguisher to finish the job.
Belau says it took nearly two hours to clear the building of smoke and channel the water from the sprinkler system into drains to prevent further damage.
Everyone got out safely and found refuge at the second Gift of Life location on the south side of Second Street until all the occupants were allowed to return to their rooms. A preliminary estimate put the damage at around $25,000.